Empowering Indigenous people and businesses through building Australian Infrastructure.
Formed in 2014 by the Federation of Victorian Traditional Owner Corporations and Icon, Barpa is a proud and dynamic Australian commercial construction company that has grown to become a model for Indigenous entrepreneurship and empowerment. We offer advanced construction capability to manage a wide cross section of projects in various industry sectors.
As a majority Indigenous owned business, Barpa is making a positive difference for Australia’s First People. We pride ourselves on respectful Indigenous engagement, dedicated training and employment opportunities for Indigenous people, supporting the Indigenous business sector and paying dividends to our community of Indigenous owners.
The Federation and Icon partnership builds on the strengths of the two entities to offer an Indigenous Construction Solution with the experience, resources and financial capacity to deliver construction projects throughout Australia.
The core of our business is the construction of technical and complex facilities, which incorporate innovative design. Many of these construction projects are managed within a live operational environment and require careful and detailed planning.
We deliver projects across every Australian state and territory whether they be in remote, regional or urban areas and our Barpa team have extensive experience constructing commercial buildings, manufacturing facilities, retail outlets, educational facilities, hospitals and sports/recreation facilities.
Our clients include various Federal and State Government departments, Universities, Councils, Not for Profits, Private Companies and Tier One contractors.
Barpa’s approach embodies the requirements and aims of the Federal Government’s Indigenous Procurement Policy (IPP), related state policies, and corporate Reconciliation Action Plans.
Barpa’s majority owner the Federation is the Victorian state-wide body that convenes and advocates for the rights and interests of Traditional Owners while progressing wider social, economic, environmental, and cultural objectives.
Icon, one of Australia and New Zealand’s largest construction providers is the oldest construction company in Australia with operations dating back to 1861.
With access to more than 750+ staff across Australia, Barpa can assemble the right project team with the appropriate skills for any commercial project.
We have seven offices in four states and two territories providing national coverage and full construction capability.
Our success is based on a collaborative approach that is built on our values of RESPECT to ensure the best project outcomes.
"Barpa acknowledges the Traditional Owners of country we work on and pay our respects to them, their culture and their Elders past, present and future."
As an Indigenous business, Barpa is committed to making a positive difference for Australia’s first people and we embed this commitment in every part of our business by;
- Ensuring Traditional Owner engagement activities happen pre and during projects,
- Providing employment and career development opportunities for Indigenous people directly in our company or through associated trade contractors,
- Actively pursuing and developing Indigenous trade contractors,
- Utilising the Indigenous Business sector in our supply chain,
- Supporting Indigenous youth in pursuing a career in construction,
- Sponsoring Indigenous sports teams and community events as well as volunteering staff for Indigenous community projects.
Utilising its own capabilities and leveraging off Icon’s 150+ years of expertise in project delivery, Barpa has the experience, resources and financial capacity to deliver both simple and complex construction projects throughout Australia.
The success of Barpa enables the Federation to pursue its agenda, as determined by its communities including developing further economic opportunities, creating Indigenous employment, strengthening connection to country and culture, and increasing individual and community capacity.
Choosing Barpa for your next project guarantees:
- The engagement of a Supply Nation certified company and solution to meet your Indigenous procurement targets
- Proven advanced construction capability
- Respectful Indigenous engagement
- Dedicated training and employment opportunities for Indigenous people
- The support of Indigenous trade contractors and the Indigenous Business sector
- A quality project outcome that will be safely delivered on time
- Strong corporate governance and professional service delivery
Indigenous expenditure to date